This post may contain affiliate links (a girl's got to eat, right?).
Does your cat ignore the beautiful toys you bought her? You may be surprised that some of the best cat toys do not come from the pet store! Below you will find a list of cat-approved “toys” that you probably have laying around the house!
Please note: You must supervise your cat with all of these items! You do not want to end up going to the Vet Emergency because your cat swallowed one or part of these things.
A few of the best cat toys from around the house…
- Rubber Bands: Rubber bands are my cats favorite! She will actually fetch them when she is in the mood. Just make sure to take the rubber band away when your cat is finished playing so she does not eat it.
- Plastic Bags: Throw some plastic grocery bags in the air and let your cat watch them fall and attack with delight.
- Balled Up Aluminum Foil: Toss balls of aluminum foil down the hall for cat brownie points.
- Cardboard Box: A cardboard box is the mystery that your cat is determined to solve. Regardless of the size, cats find a way to get in the box and figure it all out.
- Ribbon: Your cat will love you for this one! I have to hide shopping bags and gift bags from my cat or she will eat the ribbons off! Always supervise your cat with ribbons.
- String: Strings are just as fun as ribbons but provide a different texture to keep your cat interested.
- Sheets: A big sheet mountain is adventureland for your cat when you swish the covers around. Just watch out for claws!
- Toilet Paper Roll or Paper Towel Roll: Let your cat be a baseball superstar and bat round empty rolls for hours.
- Big Bowl Of Water or Running Water in the Sink: Cats love patting their paws in water and scooping it onto the floor. This is one of their favorite ways to play because they are reversing the game on us! Here is the formula: Cats throw water = Humans chasing the water. Cats are so smart!
- This YouTube Video of Birds by Paul Dinning for hours of cat entertainment (you can thank me later).
- Stick: You have to drag it around but cats love chasing sticks!
- Pile of Leaves: Just like the sheets mentioned above, cats love piles of things to jump in and out of.