This post may contain affiliate links (a girl's got to eat, right?).
Moscow Mules in Copper Mugs Could Be Making You Sick…
Iowa recently released an advisory to remind alcoholic beverage sellers of the FDA regulations regarding copper. Iowa adapts to these regulations that prohibit copper to contact with foods that have a pH lower than 6.0. Since Moscow Mules normally have a pH much lower than 6.0, copper should not be used with this beverage. “However, copper mugs lined on the interior with another metal, such as nickel or stainless steel, are allowed…”
According to the advisory, “High concentrations of copper are poisonous and have caused foodborne illness”. When copper comes in contact with acidic foods, copper may be released into the food.
Don’t throw out your Mugs just yet…
Before you ditch your pricey Copper Mug Collection, you may be interested to know that some scientists have a different opinion. One scientist explained that for copper to cause poisoning, there must be a concentration of 30 milligrams per liter. This means the mug would need to sit in juice “for a few hours” before chances of poisoning becomes an issue. So even if you are a slow drinker, you should be ok according to the scientist.
If you choose to stop using your copper mugs, here are some ideas to repurpose them…
- Makeup Brush Holders
- Candle Holders
- Kitchen Utensil Holder
- Desk Pen & Pencil Holder
Here are a couple of lined Copper Mugs you can buy on Amazon…
16 Oz. Stainless Steel Lined Copper Moscow Mule Mug
Moscow Mule Hand Hammered Copper Mug 16 oz Set of 2
Price: $24.99 for two ($12.50 each)
I was surprised that many of the unlined options were sold out or nearly out of stock. The options listed above may not last long.